Living in southern Saskatchewan, you probably already know how sinking floors, wet foundations and sagging corners can affect your home. This has to do with what is known as the “Regina gumbo.” An ice age clay that contains sodium bentonite makes the soil spongy. Our soil expands and contracts with moisture.
Because of our soil, spread footings (typical foundation styles used before the ’80s and still used a lot today) are not considered the best foundation style for this moving soil. We experience potentially active soil as low as 14 feet below grade in this gumbo clay.
What is underpinning?Under Pinning is a process that uncovers the current base of a structure and expands it for a better depth. This process reinforces the structure of the house and increases its usable area. The process is simple, efficient and effective for levelling homes.
The weight of your house sits on the foundation. Your home needs to have a solid foundation to support the weight that it is supposed to for years to come. If the foundation of your home isn't strong enough to support it, it can cause severe problems such as:
● The house may start to shift or sink.● As a result of this, your home will look unlevel, and it will lose its value.● The walls can crack.● The doors and windows stick or bind.
Regina House Leveling can help you by providing expert service to lift your home back to its original level and prevent further sinking.
Our underpinning process is as follows:
● We use a laser level to determine where and how much the foundation has settled.
● We can then provide a ballpark quote based on what we think the engineer will ask for, and we can talk about options.
● We get a structural engineer in the area to write an underpinning repair report. We have engineers we can recommend for you.
● Regina House Leveling will apply for the necessary permits.
● We then work to locate underground lines for safety.
● Our team starts digging to expose the bottom of the foundation.
● Installation of the screw piles.
● Installation of lifting brackets.
● Level house as close to plumb as possible with 20-ton jacks.
● Backfill and tamp.
Why Hire Our Services?
If you find your home sinking, it is essential to have it levelled right away before the problem becomes more severe. We are dedicated to customers in southern Saskatchewan and have levelled hundreds of houses. We have figured out many solutions for all different situations.
● Our team has years of experience in underpinning services.
● Our rates are competitive.
● We are equipped with the necessary licenses.
● We set up city inspections before and after.
When you have your home levelled with Regina House Leveling's underpinning services, you'll feel the difference!